Operations Page

Operations 2010

7 January 2010. Two males hillwalkers (40yrs & 15yrs) were on a camping and Munro bagging trip in winter conditions in Glen Affric. The Police received a worried call from the mother of the 15yr old as the pair had said they would report in every night but had failed to do so. Kintail MRT advised Police that deployment was not required immediately as the walkers were not, in fact, overdue and their failure to report was possibly due to poor mobile signal.  Police decided to ask for an RAF helicopter, which was tasked and found the men walking back to their tent having had a good day on the hill. 

20 February 2010.  A 51yr old female walker slipped on a  track in
Glen Lichd and injured her right ankle. She was splinted and carried to a waiting vehicle.

20 February 2010. A motorist reported seeing flashing lights on one of the hills in 
Glen Shiel.  On investigation by team members it turned out to be mountaineers descending from the hill after dark.  They were not in any difficulties.  

20 February 2010. Glen Lichd by Morvich (NH003174) A female walker (51yrs) was undertaking a 6 mile walk on a stalker’s track with her husband and son when she slipped on ice and broke her right ankle.  Uplifted by Landrover to Morvich MRT post. 

20 March 2010. Two men (44yrs, 31yrs) became cragfast on Creag a Mhaim and called for help.  The Coastguard helicopter attended and airlifted them to the Cluanie Inn.  

18 May 2010.  A 65yr old man had been reported overdue by a B&B landlady.  His car was located at Killilan and a note indicated Glen Elchaig as his possible route with various options for destination.  Police reported a call from the man that he had been to the Falls of Glomach. Lights spotted later. Police met him as he came off the hill. 

30 September 2010.  A search for a lone hillwalker, already missing for several days, involving Kintail, Skye and Kinloss teams and a RAF helicopter.   Northern Constabulary Press Release 1.   Northern Constabulary Press Release 2.

11 October 2010.  A search exercise by Kintail MRT found human remains. The remains were taken from the scene by the Coastguard helicopter.  Northern Constabulary Press Release.    


Top of page

Operations Page